Who We Are:
Real Estate runs in the family: Steve began his career working with his father, Julian, in commercial real estate after graduating from Tulane University in New Orleans. Soon after, he began working for Coldwell Banker Gundaker in residential real estate. For over 30 years, it has been his absolute pleasure to guide people through the process of buying and selling real estate. As a top-producing real estate agent, and over $560+ million in closed sales, Steve has developed a reputation as being a realtor second to none. Amassing accomplishments such as being awarded St. Louis Business Journals “Top Ten List” in real estate, Ladue News’ “Top Men In Real Estate”, and earning two of the most coveted designations awarded to top producing sales associates in residential real estate, Graduate Real Estate Institute (GRI) and Certified Residential Specialist (CRS), separating him from 95% of the agents across the country.
Steve and his wife of forty-three years, the former Julie Optican of Saint Joseph, Missouri, have two sons. Andy is a 1999 graduate John Burroughs School and a 2003 graduate of Emory University. He works in Private Equity in Atlanta. In 2014, Steve was thrilled to announce that their second son, Joe, would join Steve in the real estate business!
- Broker-Sales Associate since 1979
- Joined Gundaker Realtors in 1984
- Graduate of the REALTOR Institute (GRI), 1992
- Certified Residential Specialist (CRS), 1995
- Coldwell Banker Gundaker Hall of Fame, 1999
- Ranked in the top 1% of Coldwell Banker agents in the nation
- International President’s Premier designation
- $580+ million in career sales through 2019
Volunteer and Community Service
- Big Brother in the “Big Brother, Big Sister Program—“Little Brother” of 34 years is Brad Cohen, an award-winning teacher in Atlanta, an expert in the field of Tourette syndrome, and the accomplished author of Front of the Class. Brad and his wife Nancy have two young sons of their own.
- Past Member of the Board of Directors of Temple Israel
- Past Member of the John Burroughs Alumni Board
- Volunteer youth soccer, basketball, and baseball coach
- Doting Papa Steve to Catherine and Julia
Since launching his real estate career, Joe has become one of the top-producing agents at Coldwell Banker Gundaker, winning the coveted “Rookie of the Year” award for 2015. A proud 2005 graduate of John Burroughs School and The University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2009, Joe began working with his father, Steve, after graduation from law school in October of 2014.
With a passion for real estate and serving others’ by giving the utmost attention to one’s individual needs, Joe is a dream come true for Steve as he continues the tradition of the Mathes family in the real estate business and for making the complexities of buying and selling real estate a straightforward and smooth process.
Since graduating from Thomas Jefferson School of Law in 2014, Joe decided to put his knowledge of contracts and clients to use in Real Estate. He is a great asset to the Mathes team.
Joe and his wife, Kaitlin, live in Olivette with their two daughters…three-year old Catherine Lilly and Julia James who is almost a year, and their rambunctious German Shot Haired Pointer rescue named Millie.
Professional Education and Designations and Sales Experience
- Graduate of John Burroughs School, 2005
- Graduate of Wisconsin University, 2009
- Graduate of Thomas Jefferson School of Law, 2014
- Sales Associate Since 2005
- Joined Steve Mathes of Coldwell Banker Gundaker Realtors in 2014
- Earned the Coldwell Banker Gundaker Rookie of the Year Award for his first full year in business—2015
- John Burroughs School Alumni Board, 2019-